If you have a business website, then you must be well aware of the fact that it is very important to portray a functional and feature rich website before your customers so that they can interact and gain information about your business from it. And the truth is that, to be successful in your business, you cannot overlook the importance of the best web hosting platform. With different types of hosting services available for the consumers, it may be quite confusing to choose the best and understand the differences between them.
Business owners usually tend to misread the differences between the hosting types and this is due to the lack of awareness regarding the varied factors of web hosting technologies. Here in this blog, I will discuss with you the two types of hosting services and their differences: Cloud Hosting and VPS Hosting.
What is cloud hosting?
Cloud hosting is a popular technology that has already attained great importance in a short period of time. Websites that are hosted on cloud servers can be accessed any time and from anywhere. This means that the hosting resources are replicated on the cloud server in a cluster. Cloud servers utilize multiple servers that are connected together and are backed by SAN storage. Business owners who use the cloud platform often can take the advantage of multiple servers as they can enjoy unlimited storage, managed load balancing, maximum bandwidth and there are no limitations to a specific piece of hardware.
Benefits of cloud hosting:
- Customized infrastructure: Users can include customized network architecture, load balancing firewalls and IP deployment.
- Scalability: Based on your business needs, you can add more server power anytime
- High availability: In case of any physical server failures, cloud servers can easily migrate to another server without any downtime or outage.
- Highly secured: If in any case one client gets hacked or attacked by a virus, then your cloud server will remain safe from any risk to your data.
- Unlimited storage: Since it is based on SAN storage, the user enjoys unlimited storage capacity.
What is VPS hosting?
Virtual Private Servers or VPS hosting is based on servers that are crafted by using the virtualization mechanism. Here one physical server is divided into various small virtual servers that act as a unique and separate server environment. This means that the physical server’s CPU time, RAM, disk space is divided between the servers based on the chosen set of allocation.
Benefits of VPS hosting:
- Less expensive: It is comparatively less expensive than the cloud servers
- Customized plans: Many VPS hosting plans can easily be customized to need the specific needs of the users based on their budget and the features they need.
- Scalable: The hosting plans are easily scalable and can be increased to accommodate business needs.
Differences between cloud hosting and VPS hosting:
VPS hosting is usually cheaper, but has its own limitations to the specifications of the server. The storage space in the VPS can only be expanded as long as there is available space on the server that it runs on. Any more expansion often requires relocation to another server with a bigger resource and this may take some time to setup. Cloud hosting only takes few minutes to establish this simply because the cloud hosting servers are designed to move automatically from one server to another for any expansion.
The downtime in VPS is often more than the cloud because if there is any problem with the physical server to where the VPS belongs, then it needs to be serviced before turning the VPS on again. While in cloud, if in any case the physical server needs any maintenance, it can easily be transferred to another physical server in no time.